News       Events


Research involving Ionising Radiation and Radioactive Substances

Researchers must ensure that research involving ionising radiation complies with the relevant regulations.[1] To assist researchers to gain approval for research involving ionising radiation HSC R&D Division provides funding to the Medical Physics Department in the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust to support this work.

For further information please contact your HSC Trust Research Office.


Under the Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations (NI) 2000 (“IRMER”), research requires ethical approval by a UK Health Departments’ Research Ethics Service (REC) where any of the procedures in the protocol involve exposure to ionising radiation.

For guidance please see:


If the research involves the administration of radioactive substances additional to those carried out by the certificate holder as part of normal clinical care, then a research certificate is required from an Administration of Radioactive Substances Advisory Committee (ARSAC).

The Administration of Radioactive Substances Advisory Committee (ARSAC) advises Ministers and the Government on the certification of doctors and dentists who want to use radioactive medicinal products on people.

ARSAC is an advisory non-departmental public body of the Department of Health in England

For further information please see:

[1] Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations (NI) 2000

Medicines (Administration of Radioactive Substances) Regulations 1978 (and 1995 amendment).